How Botox can treat TMJ and Headaches
by Kimberly Yang, DMD on
Stress. Deadlines. Tension headaches and migraines boggling you down? Or perhaps you are starting to take your stress out on clenching and grinding your teeth. If you ever wake up with soreness in your jaw muscles, then it is time to pay a visit to your dentist!
Here are five interesting facts regarding your TMJ troubles and tension headaches.
- Botox®. Yes, Botox® may just be the answer for you due to its wonderful ability to relax your jaw muscles. It is not just for those pesky little wrinkles! Many cases of TMJ problems stem from hyperreactive and overstressed jaw muscles. This can cause you to grind and clench even when you do not notice it yourself. If you have had broken many teeth, it is worth your time to tone these tensed muscles down. After all, you have already invested so much in replacing those teeth. Implants are another great example that need good maintenance and caretaking. Relaxed muscles will less likely to put too much stress on them. Why not get down to the root of all problems and relax your muscles before more issues happen in the future?
- Chronic Migraines. Did you know that Botox® is the first and only FDA approved treatment for chronic migraines? It was estimated that 3.2 million or more Americans suffer from Chronic Migraines. Here is basically how it works. Botox® is injected where the pain originates from during a headache. Botox® enters the nerve around where the injection site is and thus block the release of pain chemicals in the body. The therapeutic effects prevents headaches and migraines before they start. Your life is busy enough as it is. Why stress out more about your migraines and headaches? Botox® on average may prevent 8-9 headache days a month at 24 weeks interval.
- Your Facial Profile. To be a good Botox® specialist, one must take your facial esthetics into account when performing the treatment. It is easy to just deliver Botox® blindly. However, what separates a master injector from a less experienced one narrows down to one skill: the ability to balance the treatment’s therapeutic effect with its cosmetic effect. Less is more in a lot of cases.
- Needles. Nobody likes needles that is a fact. Almost all patients report Botox® not being particularly painful. If for example one needs masseter relaxed, it literally will only take about less than 30 seconds to complete the procedure. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.
- Are you a good candidate? In regards to TMJ issues, one’s jaw should be able to open at least 2-3 knuckles wide within normal range. A consultation and exam are needed to proceed with further treatment. In regards to tension headaches and/or migraines, a consultation should be made with a Botox® specialist since migraines may relate to other underlying bodily issues. Rest assure that we have a great team that will get you taken care of.
Now that you know everything there is to know. What are you waiting for? Give us a call and schedule a free consultation today!